Friday, May 11, 2007

Venturing out...

Last night while waiting for my CB radio to be installed in my truck I was reading through the intro of Donald Miller's Through Painted Deserts (which my buddy Brent so thoughtfully sent to me). It had some good stuff related to the adventure I'm about to embark upon:

"It's a living book, this life; it folds out in a million settings, cast with a billion beautiful characters, and it is almost over for you. It doesn't matter how old you are; it is coming to a close quickly, and soon the credits will roll and all your friends will fold out of your funeral and drive back to their homes in cold and still and silence. And they will make a fire and pour some wine and think about how you once were...and feel a kind of sickness at the idea you never again will be.
And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter, some roses blooming out like children in a play. My hope is your story will be about changing, about getting something beautiful born inside of you, about learning to love a woman or a man, about learning to love a child, about moving yourself around water, around mountains, around friends, about learning to love others more than we love ourselves, about learning oneness as a way of understanding God. We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?"

And on that note, my friends, until you hear from me in Alaska, I say goodbye. Go venture out.

4 comments:

David Wofford said...

...sad to see you leave. You gave me hope that I could actualy venture to Kentucky (a place I'd never have chosen to go). Have a blast in AK. I'll be watching your blog for updates! Shalom and Peace to you...and happy trails, until we meet again, mon frer.

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

It was so hard to say goodbye to you this morning! I cried a little after I left. It's going to be totally different without you here. I hope you have an amazing time! Don't forget about your blog. I'll be living my life vicariously through it! :)

jgrenn said...

Hi Rob, its Jason from Alaska - I sent you an email but it came back - here it is hope you havent left
jason
__________
Hey Rob,
sorry i havent gotten back to you. Are you still looking for a place to crash for a few days when you get to town? If so, please email or call me 907-301-3046 and I see if I can help out. My wife and I get back from Costa Rica on the 23rd and would love to meet you and take out to dinner and church, help get you suitated if need be, show you some vital palces to know, etc. Let me know and I 'll get back to you quickly. Hope packing is going well and good luck on your trip

PS - on your way up the AL-CAN highway, try your best to stop at the Laird Hot Springs in the Yukon Ter. It will be worth it!

Blessings, Jason

Anonymous said...

What a great quote! It almost made me cry. Almost, but I'm in the library, so not quite.
See you soon, drive safely!
-your fav younger brother