Sunday, May 27, 2007

50 ways to leave your lover

So, I'm still in Fairbanks, Alaska. Yes we were supposed to take the train back to Anchorage today. But our manager here completely messed up our itinerary so we are stuck here all day. We are staying at the very lovely Best Value Inn, which is conveniently located among the gentlemen's clubs and adult video stores in the area. And Holland America isn't paying for our meals while we are here "training", so we're spending money we don't have. The past 5 days have been quite like a missions trip: never knowing what's next, being told to hurry up and then wait, having no idea where we are or how to get anywhere else.

The highlight for me was yesterday driving back from Chena Hot Springs after an awful day of a totally screwed up itinerary by our less-than-competent manager. She was driving and kept falling asleep at the wheel. For my coworker Vikki and I, it was the breaking point. We just started laughing. And I'm not talking about a quick little chuckle. I am talking about church giggles; where you attempt to keep quiet and your body is shaking with tears streaming down our faces. And just when one of us would compose ourselves, the other would snort or sniffle or do something to cause the other person to lose it all over again.

My brother's now infamous quote comes to mind, "It's only an adventure if you wish you were home in bed at least part of the time." This is officially an adventure and will provide me with stories for a lo-o-o-o-ong time. :-)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Rob! Yes...I found your blog! Just wanted to say hi and that I love how you write. It makes a person feel like they're there with you on your (mis)adventures in Alaska.

Praying for you...!

- Ju-Ju

P.S. I am shoplifting the Donald Miller quote from below and heading out to buy that book tonight!

Josh said...

Rob! I was just talking about you today. I took a girl from Houghton to lunch today. I was telling her, "We had a recruiter named Rob who went to Houghton. He's currently galavanting around Alaska. Great use of a Master's degree!"

Oh, and I got engaged on Thursday! Woohoo!

Julie said...

P.S. I just noticed you linked me as on of those who "inspire or amuse me." I'm thinking with me, it is more of the latter. What with my penchant for falling down and falling prey to practical jokes from people who have nothing better to do.

I guess I'll link you, too...(ok, I was gonna anyway!).

Matthew said...

Hey. Miss you so much. And I love the blog. And its an honor to be listed as a person who inspires or amuses you. I'm not quite the inspirer type, so I'm glad to be amusing, at least. Let's catch up soon. You rock my face off. Yep, just like Breathless Mahoney (played by Madonna) in Dick Tracy. I'm just saying...