Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The drive to Alaska - Day 3, wait, no its Day 4

Greetings from Fort Nelson, British Columbia.

Well, where to begin? I left Wilmore, KY on Saturday morning and drove 900 miles to Sauk City, Minnesota. I put a sign in my truck window that said "Alaska or bust!" and its been very entertaining to see people's reactions when they read it, as well as a great conversation starter at rest stops and gas stations. My favorite so far was just west of Chicago when this huge Lincoln Towncar came flying up next to me. I thought I was about to encounter some road rage but when I looked over, there was the sweetest little old lady waving and smiling and giving me a big thumbs up!

Sunday I drove 800 miles to Saskatoona, Saskatcheqan. The lady at the campground told me that there was a tornado there the night before. I made sure to REALLY stake my tent down that night. :-)

Monday I drove another bazillion miles to Jasper National Park in Alberta. Saw elk, buffalo, a moose, red tailed hawks, and loons (the bird, not persons of questionable psychiatric integrity). Took a ton of photos that I'll upload onto my flickr account soon.

In addition to the scenery and the great daily gift bags my Mom and niece Madison put together for me, its been so fun meeting all sorts of random, weird, and interesting people. When they hear that I'm driving to Alaska for the summer, they offer all sorts of encouragement and advice. But one tag line that keeps popping up is, "...might as well do it when you're young before you settle down." That strikes me as odd because the thing is, I'm not so young. Granted, thanks to genetics I look less than my 34 years of age. But if in 30 years I'm holding the same hand of cards so to speak: good health, a family that loves me, a truck with a load of outdoor gear in the back, and nothing more - but I've got a few more adventures under my belt, I've seen a bit more of the world, had my world view challenged and reshaped, and perhaps loved a few folks along the way - if that's where I'm at in 30 years without climbing even a single rung on the socioeconomic ladder then I will crack open a beer, kick back, and heave a deep sigh of contentment.

5 comments:

Eddie said...

Robby, what a fun trip so far. Oddly enough, most people aspire to having the life you're having right now. They call it retirement, you call it your early-30's. Enjoy an Alaskan Ale for me, I particularly like their seasonal Summer Ale.

Kick ass, take names, and don't get killed.

Love you man. Miss you already.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, man. Seriously...really damn amazing! Enjoy the rest of your journey, yo. I'm anxious to hear how it all unfolds for you!

Peace
-aaron

Brianne said...

I agree with my husband on this one. (except for early 30's I'd say more mid 30's), what most wouldn't give to wear pleated pants, a lovely vest in grizzly bear country. I think in a few years (when you're famous) kids will be saying 'I want to be a Rob when I grow up.' and what a better place our world will be? what are in those lovely care packages by the way?

Chris said...

Okay... keep posting existential bohemian thoughts and you're going to convince me to sell all of my earthly belongings on eBay, quit my job and trek to some out-of-the-way place where I can watch the sun rise and set without getting out of my chair.

r o b said...

DO IT CHRIS!!!! Don't make me come down there and smack some sense into you!