Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Drive to Alaska - Day 5, Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Greetings from White Horse, British Columbia. Drove 586 miles today. Stopped at Liard Mineral Hot Springs for a soak. As I was walking up the trail toward the springs I happened to look up and what was coming toward me on the trail but a bear! He was a little guy, probably about 2-300 pounds. I got a few photos of him before he saw me and took off into the woods. The Mineral Springs were pretty cool. But like any hot spring, there was a lot of sulfur. So I've had a sneaking suspicion all day that I smell like a big fart.

Later on while driving I saw two more bears, some more buffalo, a ton of elk, and another moose. Since its wide open country I've been able to drive VERY fast. At one point I was going 85 mph and drove through a flock of small birds. Unlike the Canadian Rockies all around me, that was NOT a pretty picture.

Hoping to hit the Alaska border tomorrow!! Woo hoo, cell phone coverage again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

85 MPH - You do have your grandmother's genes for sure!!
Way to go - get the picture first and worry about the bear after. You also have your Mom's genes.

Anonymous said...

Fart is still not a nice word!!

Anonymous said...

Try and be a little safe!!
Maddy will be crushed if you don't show up for Thanksgiving.

Love,

Mom

Anonymous said...

Speaking of bears - Becky, Jodi & kids, & myself are meeting Kris at a state park in Pa. that is noted for its bear population. So now it is your turn to pray and wonder if we will get eaten by a bear. It is called paybacks.

Love, Mom

P.S. Kris is bringing her bear repellent!

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

You always smell like a big fart...bird killer.