Tuesday, May 8, 2007

4 days and counting...

Ah crap. I've become one of THOSE people. One of those people who think their thoughts are impressive enough to post for the world to read. I'm doing this under the pretense of inviting people to follow me along my journey from Kentucky to Alaska to New York to Africa over the next six months. So this blog is more a venue to tell you about the lastest stupid potential-neck-breaking adventure I've survived. So if its deep philosophy or passionate politics you want to read, head somewhere else. But if you're sitting at your desk in your monochromatic little cubicle and need a glimmer of hope that someday you'll get outside and do some exploring, TA DA. Here you go:

So in 4 days I will be leaving Wilmore, KY (my home for the past 5 years) where I'm graduating from Asbury Theological Seminary with a Masters degree in Youth Ministry to drive 3956 miles to Anchorage, Alaska to work on a tourist train for the summer. I just bought a 97 Toyota Tacoma with big knobby tires and 4 wheel drive to get me there. My job as a train sales rep will be to sell extra tour packages to tourists on the train from Anchorage to Denali National Park to Fairbanks and back again. The best part of this whole adventure is that my brother Scott will be joining me in a month or so. Two Baird brothers and the wilderness of Alaska - God help us all.

4 comments:

Eddie said...

Rob,

I'm that guy who who writes, "Deep philosophy or passionate politics." You're the guy who never wears a shirt and skips surfing for 4-wheeling - bro.

I can't wait to read about your adventures. I would absolutely encourage you to make this label: "I Almost Died Today"...it'll be used a bunch for you this summer.

Moving Westward,
Eddie

Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz! Can't wait to follow the adventures of the Baird Brothers! :) Sounds so exciting!! While you're out there traveling the world, I"ll be traveling the street, the same street, our street, over and over again, as our little pack rides their bikes all summer long!!! Happy Trails! :)

Love, Aim

Anonymous said...

If you die, I'm going to kick your ass.

-Your favorite sister....Little Mama

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens you have a praying Mom!!!!