Friday, May 18, 2007

A "Dukes Of Hazzard" welcome to Alaska!

Well, I'm here. Six days of driving, over 4000 miles (including my little side trip to Jasper National Park), many visits to Tim Horton's, all sorts of wildlife sightings (including bear, mountain goat, elk, buffalo, moose) and lots of car karaoke I made it safely to Anchorage. The road trip out here was exhausting but amazing. And having no cell phone for the majority of the trip was surprisingly pleasant. It afforded me long stretches of quiet times of reflection and prayer. As well as time to work on my solo career. I won't quit my day job.

I did learn three things while driving through northern Canada:

First, I now have an appreciation for country music. Weird, I know. But there's something about being on the road for days and days that makes country music actually make sense.

Second, when they post a speed limit in northern Canada, they are just kidding. You can go as fast as you want.

Third, when they post a sign that reads "REDUCE SPEED! ROUGH ROAD AHEAD!", they are serious as a heart attack. I learned this one the hard way (after truly embracing lesson #2). See, up here the winters are so harsh that they reek havoc on the roads. The road will actually buckle, causing a depression followed by a giant speed bump. The distance in height between the two can actually be up to two feet. So imagine my surprise when I hit the first of many of these "rough road" sections at 85 mph. I know for certain that all four tires of my truck left terra firma for at least a 2 second period. It was exactly like the Dukes of Hazzard. Except for the fact that unlike Bo and Luke Duke, I was trying to take a sip from my Nalgene bottle and ended up taking a second bath. Also, unlike those crazy Duke boys, I was unaware of my impending jump and therefore yelled something entirely different than their trademark rebel "Yeeeee-ha!"

But I'm here and alive and my truck is intact. I'm staying with my friend Courtney's relatives. They are great people and have offered to let me house sit for them for the summer. Which is very generous and kind of them! And they have a beautiful house too.

I start my job training as a train sales rep on Monday. I don't know when I have to don my outfit of black pleated pants, white tuxedo shirt, and gold vest. But rest assured, I will take photos and post them as soon as I am able! I know everyone in the Admissions office at Asbury is greatly anticipating that!

Speaking of photos, I'm going to start uploading photos to my flickr site now so you should be able to click on the link to the right and check them out. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Eddie said...

Robby, your pics. are astonishing. It's just amazing to me that scenery like that exists outside of paintings and postcards.

Good job not dying on the way to Alaska - you're half way there.

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

Whew...you must be exhausted! We're all so glad you made it safe. Your pictures are amazing, and so are you Rob Baird!!!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know I love you!!! Keep sending pictures so I can live vicariously through you here in West Seneca!!!

-Little Mama

Julie said...

Rob! I am so jealous of your adventurous life. Sounds like you're loving it out there already. Praying for you, friend...