Monday, June 18, 2007

This is where I'll die



This is a photo of the trail that will most likely claim my life later this summer. See I've always had a certain weakness when it comes to mountain biking. And by weakness I mean I can't get enough of it, especially the descents. So maybe addiction is a better word? Anywho, today I rode my bike up Powerline Pass in Chugach State Park. The pass still had some snow blocking it so I ditched my bike and proceeded on foot. Once over the pass I continued following the powerline and came over a ridge only to find A) this amazing view (that you can't see so well in this photo but check my Flickr account for better shots) and B) the most amazing descent I've ever seen. The trail just...drops. Several thousand feet. In just a couple of miles. And it is just this sort of trail that I can see myself fah-lying down and missing a turn or hitting a rock and doing a spectacular endo where I cartwheel through the air ever so gracefully and then splat everywhere. So I'm just saying in advance that it was well worth it and I enjoyed the ride. I guess that goes for both the ride that day and life in general.

11 comments:

Omar said...

don't die.

but if you do, think of something that will make you smile in the final split seconds before your head hits the ground... like 131 consumed by fire.

r o b said...

great, thanks to you now that house burning IS going to be the last thought in my head before it splatters like a watermelon. i'm totally going to come back and haunt you for this.

Brianne said...

Nope I don't think it's going to work like that. I bet you survive your dangerous adventures, and die eating some spoiled sour cream, or die in your sleep in one of your crazy dreams. wah-wah.

Sarah Jackson said...

If you die, can I have your camera?

r o b said...

sure sarah!

Cynthia said...

well, at least you'll die doing what you love the most. what better way to go!
:)

Omar said...

if you die, can i have your wit and charm?

good lord... how sick are we that we're talking so much about your death?

don't die rob... don't die.

Abbey Brown said...

Rob, this is Abbey love...think way back to 1999...I am reading your blog in the far off, but familiar area of your sister's dining room. we just finished the college fellowship night and I had asked how u were doing so kevin hooked me up to your blog. Guess what?!? Im training for a marathon too!! Milwaukee, October 7th. Its so good to see you doing so well and actually Id love to get some insight and training tips as this will be my first marathon. I think it'd be pretty nice to catch up, too seeing as I havent even heard your name in about 8 years. My email address is Abbey.Love@gmail.com. Drop me a line, I want to hear your story! Thanks so much.

Ps: your blog makes me think of "Amazon Woman..." Do you remember telling that story?

Chris said...

If your scenario pans out as planned then at least it'll save the grizzlies from having to chase you down.

Base on previous posts I can't WAIT to read your Mom's response to this one. Here, I'll channel her: "Try to be a LITTLE safe. Love, Mom"

Fitz said...

Man, I miss you already! [sniff-sniff]

Anonymous said...

Did your plan succeed? No blog long time...