Tuesday, July 31, 2007

driver's licenses and cell phones

When I moved from New York to Kentucky, I kept my NY driver's license for four years because I didn't want to give it up. (It's a NY thing) But alas, my last year in Kentucky I bought the sweet car infamously known as Kenny. So I had to get a Kentucky driver's license. Which basically meant I went to the DMV, handed them my NY license, they took my picture, and handed me a Kentucky driver's license. No problemo. Easy Squeezy.

Being here in Alaska, I want an Alaskan driver's license and plates. You would think Alaska would be a pretty easy place to get a license. But I've been to the DMV three times now. They've asked for everything short of a DNA sample and a binding contract giving them custody of any first born child I might ever have. I finally jumped through all the hoops and had to take the (computerized) written test. AND I FAILED!!! And the worst part is that when I went back up the the information desk and told the lady I failed (in front of a line full of people), she looked at me incredulously and exclaimed, "HOW?!?" I can't believe the DMV lady gave me grief for failing! So when I left I took one of the manuals to study. I of course, haven't studied it but am considering writing all sorts of subversive messages in it and sneaking it back on the rack.

p.s.-regarding my cell phone:
1) yes, saying i dropped my cell phone into a glacial crevasse would have sounded better than saying i dropped it in the toilet. unfortunately i didn't think of that at the time of my last posting. no, i wasn't using the cell phone at the time of said drop.
2) yes, it will still be the same phone number. I got that question a lot.
3) my cell phone provider today informed me they are revoking my cell phone insurance since this is my third cell phone in a year. I am too amused to be mad. I wanted to tell the lady that, statistically speaking, we'll probably be having this same conversation in about 4 months.

7 comments:

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

Apparently Kentucky is the only state who doesn't give a crap about who drives there. I had the same easy experience getting a KY license. BUT - when we went to get our Indiana licenses, we had to take written tests (we passed them...barely! There are some really random questions on there!), show our social security cards, birth certificates, proof of insurance, two documents proving our new address, etc., etc., etc. It was crazy!

Ryan Barnett said...

Now, brother you know I love you dearly, but I can't admit to being hugely surprised. I can't recall a noticable difference between your driving in Vice City and down harrodsburg road . . .

r o b said...

Whatever, Ryan!! You experience one minor power skid on loose gravel with my brother at Shaker Village and you label all NY drivers as dangerous. That's like saying all Texans drive big trucks and yell "y'all" all the time. Oh wait...

Krista said...

Katie is right! When I first moved here a few years ago, I failed the Indiana test the first time I took it. I felt stupid and waited until my Michigan plates were up before I tried again...I passed the test, but to get the plates for the car only took 5 seperate visits and a drive to Michigan. Seriously, it I have entered foreign countries easier then I became a Hoosier! I wrote about one of my experiences and it was linked to a local blog about politics or something, but all I know is, I waisted tons of time and gas trying to get a freaking Indiana plate!

Matthew said...

You make me laugh, and I miss seeing you in exciting KY...er, make that "exciting Kentucky." The other might be misconstrued...Miss you, my friend!

Jackson said...

Roberto-

Same is true in Wisconsin. We tried to get our license three times. Turns out you have to have proof of residence, which means you need a bill of some sorts, but of course we got no bill until being in the new apartment thirty days. Also, you have to have a pass to park on the streets around this place, but you need a license to get the damn pass. When I asked the lady what I was to do to avoid tickets, she said: "Not my problem."

Oh yeah, when the bill finally came, I was able to get my license but Julie was not because only my name is on the bill - despite the fact that our names are the same and we showed her our marriage license. Julie was about ready to kick some you know what.

Ryan Barnett said...

Jackson, you could have shown the DVM one of the parking tickets . . .