Thursday, September 27, 2007

Road trip!!



So in 2 days my brother and I will head out on our 7000 mile road trip from Alaska to New York, with a slight detour to California. My brother just got invited to climb Half Dome in Yosemite so at this point I think its safe to say we're throwing the itinerary out the window. But the fact that the Baird brothers even had an itinerary is a big accomplishment. Some of you have invited us to stay with you. THANK YOU!! You'll probably be hearing from us about 30 minutes before we pull into your driveway. Make no apologies for dirty dishes or unkempt homes. We're just happy to see you and have a floor to crash on and some friends to hang out with.

There's so much reflective mumbo-jumbo I could say about Alaska. Some other time perhaps. All I know is that this isn't the last time I'll be here. As for our big road trip, I think this Walt Whitman quote sums it all up nicely,

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road;
healthy, free, the world before me,
the long brown path leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth, I ask not good fortune;
I myself am good fortune.
Henceforth, I wimper no more, postpone no more, I need nothing.
I'm done with indoor complaints, libraries, and querulous criticisms.
Strong and content I travel the open road."

Catch you on the flip side....

3 comments:

Julie said...

Have a blast...and be careful (had to say it). If you venture through Arkansas and need a place to crash, I have lots of space and would love to see you.

Living Vicariously through You,
Ju-Ju

Omar said...

Rob... you kick ass. I know that in all reality your route won't take you through Fayetteville. But on the off chance it does, just call when you get here.

And of course if you end up in Dallas, I'm sure my mom will let you stay at her place.

Wipe that smirk off your face.

brandon said...

Rob,

If you are traveling through the deep south at any point on this trip or another, you can stay with us in Birmingham, AL.

Enjoy the adventure. I envy you more than you know.